Great St Mary’s is an open and inclusive community, a community in pursuit of Truth. We encourage all who come to explore the Christian faith — and to discover what difference faith makes.
Suspension of Public Worship
On 17 March, the Church of England suspended public worship and called on churches to ‘face the challenge posed [by COVID-19] by becoming a radically different kind of church rooted in prayer and serving others.’
Even when we are apart from one another, we can still worship together each from our own homes. We will livestream our worship — on weekdays Morning Prayer at 9am & Compline at 9pm, and on Sundays worship at 9.30am — on Facebook Live.
- watch services at our Facebook page, live-streaming worship weekdays at 9am & 9pm, and on Sundays at 9.30am.
Visit our ‘Share a Prayer‘ page you would like to light a virtual candle and offer a prayer.
Great St Mary’s will remain open for private prayer, and we continue as a community of prayer and service, albeit in a new form as we put public worship on ‘hold’.
As a parish church, as well as the University Church and a historic landmark for visitors and locals alike, so much is happening at Great St Mary’s! We are:
- A Church of England parish with services throughout the week, and a programme of study and action.
- The City and University Church for University sermons, special services and events and the city centre for civic services attended by the mayor and city and county councillors.
- A ministry at the heart of Cambridge with wide outreach and partnerships in mission at home and abroad.
- A historic tourist destination, with a tower offering a great view of Cambridge. The church is open every day for visitors, tourists, and those wanting a time of quiet.
- A centre for choral and orchestral music, with our own choirs and orchestra.
- The Michaelhouse Centre, with its café, art exhibitions, programme of experimental and participative worship, and rooms for your group to meet.
- Chaplaincy to the University is our multi-faith chaplaincy for post-doctoral researchers, students and staff.
- The Heritage Centre celebrates the history and Christian heritage of the Church, with special programmes for schools and families, interactive touch screens, brass rubbings, and discovery trails.
Whether you are visiting Cambridge, or making your home here, we hope you’ll come and take part in the life of Great St Mary’s.