Stewardship 2013 Presentation
our weekly Pewslip
important information for hirers of the church
An exciting building project is about to start at Great St Mary’s.
After many years in the planning and lots of fundraising, we are really looking forward to bringing much needed new facilities to our church. This major refurbishment is due to commence in January 2013 and will continue at least until October, by which time we hope that we will all be able to enjoy:
- A new glazed entrance at the West end (at the foot of the tower), inside the historic wooden doors. This will allow the doors, which open on to the important gathering space on Senate House Hill, to be open all the year round, providing a welcoming and inviting way in for visitor. It will also provide enhanced light to the Narthex, and help to reduce our energy consumption. This will be part of the renovation of the Narthex to enable us to establish an education centre there.
- A new, enlarged and enclosed shop, separated from the worship space. This will provide improved facilities for tourists and visitors, as well as preserving the tranquility of the church itself.
- A new, safer and more spacious working area in the South East corner (nearest the Guildhall). This will enable our staff to serve our visitors more effectively throughout the year.
- A new roof for the South Aisle, safeguarding the structure of this part of the church for future generations, and also helping to retain heat and conserve energy.
- To learn more about these plans please visit our Development page: http://www.gsm.cam.ac.uk/great-st-marys/development/
Inevitably, there will be considerable disruption while building work is underway. Sunday Church services will continue as usual, and Tower access will be possible, but weekday services, concerts and all other bookings will be severely restricted. Do bear with us over this period and we will be delighted to welcome you to Great St Mary’s in 2014!