The parish of St Mary the Great with St Michael Cambridge
The community of Great St Mary’s is made up of three ministries. Each ministry supports and carries out the mission of the parish; it serves a defined area or audience; it is sustainable; it has its own management structure; and it sets up its own income stream. There are at present three ministries – each with its own pages on the website. Great St Mary’s, a worshipping community; Michaelhouse, a community trust; and the Chaplaincy to University Staff, a part of the University of Cambridge. This style of ministry enables us to work in close and effective ways with many partners.
With many activities we set out to define our aims and our objectives, our values and our ideals. Do you agree with them? Do they summarise your ideals and hopes? Do you want to share in a community like this?
Great St Mary’s Ministry
- Welcomes, includes and appreciates everyone who comes into the building
- Encourages us to ask questions about our life and faith and other lives and faiths
- Lives out its faith by building up & participating in communities, Christian & secular, local, national & global
- Fosters a sense of the holiness of God, engages with Christ and grows in awareness of the spirit, offers Christian praise and worship in the Anglican tradition, with focus on the sacraments, and is committed to ecumenical and inter-faith enterprises.
- Offers witness and teaching and proclaims the faith to others
- Values our architectural and cultural heritage as a witness for today and tomorrow
- Exercises its mission & duties while stewarding the environment given to us by God for future generations
- Acts with the same justice and peace it is committed to fostering in everyday life throughout the wider world